-
October 20th, 2004, 08:10 PM
#1
Inactive Member
This has been confusing me- did Mattel sign on to Pleasant Co.? [img]confused.gif[/img]
Chelsea
-
October 20th, 2004, 08:14 PM
#2
Inactive Member
When we meet I will give you an AG101 lesson!! lol!
Mattel purchased American Girl in 1999. All the rights are Mattel's now but the company is still called American Girl. Mattel JUST erased Pleasant company logo! it is everything American Girl now.
-
October 20th, 2004, 08:19 PM
#3
Inactive Member
In 1998 American girl was sold to Mattel by it's founder, P.T. Rowland. In 2000 Pleasent T. retired and handed all poweres to Mattel. Since then the pleasent company logo has been phased out, and in 2004 the company name was changed to American girl.
The Mattel handover of power is seen negatively by most American girl fans. There are many complaints against Mattel, the most important being the feedback to the phasing out of Felicity.
You may find this link interesting:
P.T. retires
<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ October 20, 2004 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Felicity+Addyfan ]</font></font>
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 20, 2004 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Felicity+Addyfan ]</font>
-
October 20th, 2004, 10:19 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I was talking to the owner of a nearby shop where they sell handmade clothing and furniture for American Girl dolls. She was under the impression that Mattel would eventually stop marking the AG dolls with "Pleasant Company" on the backs of their necks. She made me want to buy up all the dolls my DD's and I really want right away (but I don't need much incentive there, LOL)! Does anyone have any further information or opinion on this?
Shawn
-
October 20th, 2004, 10:23 PM
#5
courtneysunshine
Guest
She was under the impression that Mattel would eventually stop marking the AG dolls with "Pleasant Company" on the backs of their necks. She made me want to buy up all the dolls my DD's and I really want right away (but I don't need much incentive there, LOL)! Does anyone have any further information or opinion on this?
Shawn
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is already happening. I believe it was Tracy who posted that her new Josefina which she purchased this summer has American Girl on the back of her head and not Pleasant Company.
Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 20, 2004 07:24 PM: Message edited by: courtneysunshine ]</font>
-
October 20th, 2004, 10:34 PM
#6
Inactive Member
My Nellie and Addy are from 2004, and both of them EVEN NELLIE say Pleasent company on there necks. However Addy's is probably what you have on most dolls, the all-caps large logo, while Nellie's says Pleasent Company as apposed to PLEASENT COMPANY, and it is smaller and hard to see.
-
October 20th, 2004, 10:49 PM
#7
Inactive Member
How sad [img]frown.gif[/img] . And how odd that you're Nellie is marked Pleasant Company Felicity+Addyfan.
Thanks for the information!
Shawn
-
October 20th, 2004, 10:52 PM
#8
Inactive Member
F+Afan, yes it was in 1998, which the company was sold, but Mattel DID not take over the entire company til 1999! It takes a year or so for contracts and lawyers and paperwork to do. PLus I was told 1999 from someone who is has a high seat in the company. [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
October 21st, 2004, 01:18 AM
#9
Inactive Member
AG is not planning on changing the Pleasant Company that appears on every doll's neck. The company still runs most of its operations, and does not have any major changes in the works. As far as Felicity going to the website, it had to do with her sales and catalog space. There is just way too much stuff to fit in the catalog, so they decided that Felicity would go exclusively web to help save space. The company still prides itself on being Pleasant Company, not just a division of Mattel.
-
October 21st, 2004, 01:52 AM
#10
HB Forum Owner
Yes, my Josefina has American Girl, LLC stamped on the back of her neck. I'm glad Nellies don't so far. When I order my Nellie, I'll ask my PS to check for one that says Pleasant Company. Having AG on her doesn't bother me so much, I'd just rather she have PC instead.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks